Tuesday, December 10, 2013

And away I sew!

One of the reasons I've been ambivalent about starting my own sewing blog is that I couldn't think of a catchy name. Then, just a few minutes ago, while updating my profile on patternreview.com, I used the phrase 'and away I sew!' when describing my fitting eureka moment. Here's the full profile post on Pattern Review:

"I started sewing in High school, desperate to make something that would fit my lanky 5'11" frame. My first project was a teal skirt (this was '84). It was bad, but that's when bad was good.  Since then I have sewn for companionship (I used to travel for a living and so did my sewing machine), for family (my niece and nephews have some cool costumes), and for love (men's button downs, and I finally found a keeper). For a while I stopped sewing out of fit frustration, my greatest barrier: shirts that ride-up the front of my neck. This was a constant consternation for me. I had a fitted sloper, so it wasn't a bust issue (I'm a D so have done plenty of FBAs), so I shied away from most patterns and resigned myself to wearing camis and turtle necks. But then I bought Kathleen Fasanella's book and her section on improving product rocked my fitting world. In just one sentence I understood my fit issue. Since then I simply make a small adjustment to the CB neck height of any pattern and away I sew!

So hello fellow sewing enthusiasts! My intention for this blog is probably similar to the rest of the sewing community's: to document specific techniques I like so I can easily refer to them for future projects. I hope my contributions are helpful to others as well.

Happy Sewing!
Leah

3 comments:

  1. Hi Leah! :) Hope to see you at the Sew Expo this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm on my way now. I should be having a fair scone by 3! A little late but I'll be there all day Sunday. I'll be hanging around the ASG booth around noon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to following your sewing ventures. I'm also 5'11" and that's the same reason I began sewing; getting clothes that fit.

    ReplyDelete